but yes, I'm still working on my Outfront episode for CBC Radio. I'm entirely too long-winded and my "story" is a long-ish one, in terms of time it's taking to elapse. I have no idea if I'll come out of this with a useable piece, but I'm really enjoying the process. Don't worry, you won't be able to stop me telling you all about it when it finally airs.
I was doing some recording tonight and then listening to some of my past recordings and realized that one of the gifts that this process has given me is that of making me listen to my recorded voice until it sounds... familiar. Like most people, I used to hate the sound of my recorded voice because it "didn't sound like me", the way I was used to hearing myself. But now, after listening to hours of recordings (recorded over a six-month period) my recorded voice is not only starting to sound to me more like my own internal voice (at least I can hear the similarities and it has become familiar), but I'm starting to really enjoy my own speaking voice.
It sounds ever so slightly nasal to me, which I find actually kind of funny, because it's one of the aspects of my voice that I don't and possibly can't hear from inside. But it also sounds warm and a little furry, and tonight, thoughtful. I am often pedantic, and I spend too much time explaining everything I don't mean before I explain what I do, but I actually don't mind listening to myself muse on through most times. I am given to pauses in my speech while I think, but I don't often seem to feel the need to fill that pause with "umm" or similar sounds.
It seems to me that it is at one and the same time both an incredibly serious voice and an emotional one. Or perhaps it is only the content which is emotional. I could stand to moderate my tone more perhaps, but I have to admit that when I try to do so I usually end up assuming half a british accent and sounding hopelessly jaunty. Something to work on maybe.
But I'm liking my voice for what it is: an untrained radio voice telling a very personal story.
I was doing some recording tonight and then listening to some of my past recordings and realized that one of the gifts that this process has given me is that of making me listen to my recorded voice until it sounds... familiar. Like most people, I used to hate the sound of my recorded voice because it "didn't sound like me", the way I was used to hearing myself. But now, after listening to hours of recordings (recorded over a six-month period) my recorded voice is not only starting to sound to me more like my own internal voice (at least I can hear the similarities and it has become familiar), but I'm starting to really enjoy my own speaking voice.
It sounds ever so slightly nasal to me, which I find actually kind of funny, because it's one of the aspects of my voice that I don't and possibly can't hear from inside. But it also sounds warm and a little furry, and tonight, thoughtful. I am often pedantic, and I spend too much time explaining everything I don't mean before I explain what I do, but I actually don't mind listening to myself muse on through most times. I am given to pauses in my speech while I think, but I don't often seem to feel the need to fill that pause with "umm" or similar sounds.
It seems to me that it is at one and the same time both an incredibly serious voice and an emotional one. Or perhaps it is only the content which is emotional. I could stand to moderate my tone more perhaps, but I have to admit that when I try to do so I usually end up assuming half a british accent and sounding hopelessly jaunty. Something to work on maybe.
But I'm liking my voice for what it is: an untrained radio voice telling a very personal story.
Recording Equipment
Date: 2006-09-25 03:32 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2006-09-26 12:35 am (UTC)